Monday, February 14, 2011

VALENTINE'S DAY SUCKS



It’s Valentine’s Day. Yay.

I woke up this morning feeling pretty crappy. After a couple drinks of sangria, I allowed myself to get caught up in a little unnecessary drama. Some how all the wisdom and maturity acquired over the years flew out the window and I reverted back to my early 20’s when “giving someone a piece of my mind” was the perfect and only way to communicate. But of course we forget what it feels like to wake up the next morning knowing you were an ass. And then of course I decided to schedule a dentist appointment at the crack of dawn.  While everyone is looking forward to surprise gestures of love and affection, I’ve allowed some woman to drill in my mouth for an hour. So today, I hate Valentine’s Day.

Once again, I feel left behind. As everyone around me begins to settle into relationships, marriage and babies, I’m still trying to figure out how to keep a relationship going more than one month.  This year Valentine’s Day feels like 24 hours created to remind me of everything that I want and don’t have when it comes to love. But then, I can’t help but remember that I actually use to love this day. And that wasn’t too long ago. Valentine’s Day especially in grade school was about celebrating my friends. I took that tradition into high school and even into my 20’s, regardless of whom I was dating, I got a big group together and we celebrated each other and the possibility of love. But now the idea of Valentine’s Day is filled with so much heavy expectation and false meaning that there’s just not any room for fun anymore. So in hopes of getting out of my love hating mood, I made a list of all the great things that come from love that are currently in my life. Just because I’m not in love doesn’t mean that I’m not surrounded by it every single and more importantly love and romance, although currently not present in my life, is far from dead.  So in celebration of Saint Valentine I honor the following:

The love between my parents that has lasted over 35 years

The love and joy surrounding my best friend’s pregnancy

The abundance of blessings I have been given through my friendships throughout the years

My brother’s approaching wedding and his new family

And the gorgeous sunshine that Los Angeles is getting in the middle of February.

At the end of the day, in or out of love, I am still one lucky gal.

No comments:

Post a Comment