Monday, October 25, 2010

IS THERE ANY GETTING OVER KRYPTONITE?




He argues the importance of love in our society. He obsesses over the possible life story of the homeless guy near the freeway entrance and wonders how and if they are really any different. He quits his job without having any idea what he is going to do next, stays up all night writing his book/novel/poem/painting while praying to God he is living to his full potential.

He’s the artist. In every sense of the word. From head to toe, he’s passionate, spontaneous, and unpredictable.  My kryptonite. I’ve encountered this man-short, tall, skinny, and big – regardless of what he looks like, I’m smitten within the first encounter and there’s no reeling back. Cut from the same cloth, he understands my own obsession and inspires me to work and live harder.  But in all cases, we both love hard which only perpetuates a much harder fall. Getting myself back together after dealing with Mr. Artist is never an easy or quick process. Its brutal, down right life changing but through the pain, I always emerge as a stronger, more complete person. In some ways, the personal growth is an added blessing for dealing with the Artist Man.

This time, I want to try things different. Try the stable man. The guy with a job and a career, and that’s enough for him. As long as the bills are paid, he’s good and any bigger questions can be left for others to figure out. He’s settled. Where he is now is where we want to be and if it never changes, he’s fine. The monotony and expectation that comes with the stable man at one time sounded boring but now feels comforting and alluring. BUT the problem is when I encounter him; I’m always looking for more. I want to go out when he wants to stay home. I’m looking to debate the social undertones of Fraggle Rock when he just wants to watch and relive his childhood.

How much of the excitement and romanticism really matters when looking for a life partner?  How much entertainment is needed in relation to loyalty and steadiness?

Maybe over time the insatiable taste of The Artist will fade away. Or maybe I’ll get lucky and I’ll find the perfect mix of Mr. Stable and The Artist that makes sense for me. Does he exist?

In the meantime, I try to date from a clean slate not letting too much of my past color my future. Even when a whole lot of color seems to serve me well.

1 comment:

  1. I say give mr stable a chance because not all mr. stables are just cool with where they are in life. there are some Mr. artist who did the aritst life but as they matured wanted a more stable life. so now he is mr. stable but still has a artist passion for life. I know several men right now who are turning 30 or in there mid 30's who have travel down the artist path their whole life be it a painter or actor or poet but now wants something more stable because they want to settle down soon.. so I say enter each encounter with mr. stable with a clean slate cause you might just click but if you go in with the thought it's not going to work you've already put that energy out.. so it will fail.

    Here's to new romantic adventures in the land of Mr. Stable :)

    ReplyDelete