Monday, April 26, 2010

When did TALKING become the next TEXTING?




I recently met this guy.  Mature, attractive, and attentive. We've talked on the phone and planned our first date for next week. Everything seems on the right path until he text messaged me last night:

 "Whassup, Aireka, How are you doin?" 

I'm sorry, I had to stop and ask a couple of my girlfriends. When did grown ass men start replacing a phone call with a text?  Seriously? You want to tell you how I'm doing over text message? Aside from me feeling like it's unappropriate, I mean can you really express what you are up to in text message form? I get it, teens have all those abbreviations and anograms but what happened to picking up the phone when you wanted to talk to someone? 

I just like the rest of the world, can't live without my Blackberry. I text, bbm, pin, facebook, twitter, etc. So I'm far from behind the times but I don't understand. How are you really going to get to know someone over text?

If you want to let me know something funny that happened, give me directions, or let me know your running late. I'm all for text... but to know how am I doing? I'm sorry men. It's just lazy. And a little insulting. You want to talk, pick up the phone. If you don't want to talk, don't text! 

 As much as I was bothered, I tried not to let my judgments get in the way. A couple hours later, after I got out of the movies I simply replied "Hey, sorry, I was in the movies, how are you"?  He replied asking what movie I saw but at 11:30 at night, I'm just not interested in having a trivial conversation over text, and probably less interested in doing it over the phone. After not replying in the morning I was told via text that I am a "bad texter". When was I suppose to be a good one? 

Help me out here. Is there something that I am missing? Did dating dramatically change in the year I was in a relationship?  Remember in high school, when you were too cool to say you were dating, you told your girls you were "talking". It was too early to say something was going on but too engaged to say nothing was up. So in 2010 is this the case, we no longer are "talking" but  were "texting"? 

And more importantly... do I have to be ok with this? 



No comments:

Post a Comment