Friday, April 30, 2010

Are relationships only temporary?


Maybe we got it all wrong….

I look forward to the day that I am married like the next person but maybe that is the main issue when it comes to relationships… what if forever was never supposed to be. Maybe marriage is not the ultimate station in life. Could people come in and out of lives, and all we are required to do is be the best we possibly can. What if love is eternal but relationships are naturally temporary?

When I heard the news of Halle and her man breaking up I immediately felt for her like she was my best friend,  “Not another break up! I thought Halle had finally found the one!” And then I had an epiphany. Other beautiful dynamic women who struggled with relationships flashed in my head;  Jennifer Lopez, Sandra Bullock, Oprah Winfrey, Madonna.  As much as independent single ladies we preach our independency and self reliance but maybe we need to really start living it. These women are examples that being married or romantically linked to a man should not be a measure of our worth. You can be dynamic, sexy, and even be considered the sexiest woman alive and still figuring out your love life. And maybe you never figure it out, even when you are with someone.

Marriage was originally invented so that young women can be spoken for and men could procreate.  When you add the notion of love, dual careers, and drive for success, the original idea of marriage get’s a lot more complicated and harder to obtain. Not that monogamy and marriage is not possible or even refreshing, but maybe it’s no longer the end all be all that we think… 

I don't know what do you think? Are my thoughts enlightened or pessimistic? 


No comments:

Post a Comment