Thursday, May 20, 2010

Dear Online Dating, Why Don't I Believe In You?



They say love finds you when you aren’t looking but if that’s the case then why are so many people writing profiles and posting pictures online to find “The One”?

I’ve done online dating and currently doing it right now but I have to tell you, I hate it. As much as I try, I can’t get over the shopping set up of it all. Looking at profiles like I’m looking for a pair of shoes, trying to figure out which one is a good fit. I feel like I’m shopping for a date. Throwing men into my "shopping cart" hoping for the moment I get to "check out". It feels unnatural and in a way desperate. Plus, my attraction to the men that turned into monumental relationships of my past was never been about what they looked like but more about what I felt when I was with them. Call me a hopeless romantic (and I wear the badge proudly) but how can you simply look at a picture of someone and know if you are a match? And when it comes to compatibility, what the hell does that really mean? Does the fact that he too likes italian food really mean we would get along? Sure, when it comes to statistics, we are more likely to meet someone online then walking down the street but when it comes to love has it ever followed the rules of science? We can all write a list of what we want but how many times have we fallen in love with what we never knew we really wanted?

I am less interested in finding “Someone” and more interested in finding “The One”. The distinction between the two is where online dating actually works. It directly puts you in a circle of people “looking” giving the a chance to meet people you wouldn’t usually meet day to day. The problem is do we really want to meet someone so out of pocket from what we experience on a daily basis? It’s a proven fact; we naturally want to be around folks that are like us. Our friends are our friends for a reason. So I can’t help but ask, is online dating just throwing folks at us that are not part of our social circle for a reason?

Now as much as I can complain about the online dating experience, I can also say some good has come of it. Surprising, I’ve met more respectable men then cyberspace Patrick Bateman’s (Have I told you the story about the white guy that smelled me all night cause "black chicks spell better than white chicks"?) and I am currently dating someone that I met online that I actually do like. So maybe I’m just a hater… but still 70% percent of us are meeting lifetime partners through social circles so… maybe I’m not.

Online dating... is it really our chance to finding love or just another way of wasting time and money?

1 comment:

  1. With all the online dating and social sites, is it possible to find true love there? It was a question I ask to myself and many people for sure asking themselves the same question and I found the answer on globogirls.com There are a lot of different people in different countries, but some good ones too. I had been doing it for about 2 months, when I met someone. We have been dating in person for one month and we traveled together, it is going really well. I don't know if we will ever be in love or spend the rest of our lives together, but I am enjoying being with him while I can. My suggestion to anyone doing online dating is be safe, cautious, and honest. I guess that globogirls.com will help you a lot.

    ReplyDelete