Sunday, May 23, 2010

FIVE GREAT THINGS ABOUT BEING SINGLE



As much as I am anxious to fall in love, every now and then I have moments of pure appreciation of being single. So much of our lives are about other people. Our jobs, friends, family, kids. We are quick to overlook the freedom to wake up when you want to, decide to have a fabulous meal even when the fridge is stalked, or something simple as never having to figure out what movie to see.

I believe the greatest gift any woman can give herself is time to be alone. Once you know you can be happy and make it through life alone, the next time you are in a relationship you know its because you want to. Not because you have to.

Here are five great things about my singlehood that are worth celebrating while they are still here:


PAPER TOWELS FOR TOILET PAPER
I can be lazy. Single and living alone means sometimes I don’t make it to the grocery store or the drug store as often as I need to. If I forget to get something before I come home, guess what? I don’t have to go back out if I don’t want to. I can use Paper towels for toilet paper and go in the morning when it’s more convenient for one person… me.


IF I AM NAUSEOUS, I’M JUST NAUSEOUS
The worst thing about having sex on a regular basis is constantly worrying if you’re Prego. I don’t care how much birth control a woman can be on, if anything is a little off your silent alarm goes haywire. Getting sick too often in one month, crying too much in one week, stomachache in the middle of the night. These are things that can happen for a number of other reasons but can cause a week of unnecessary stress when you’re in a relationship. When you’re single that stomachache is just a stomachache and life easily moves on.

3. A.M – 7.A.M. IS MINE WITH NO QUESTION
When I’m deep in a script my schedule is all over the place. Writing early in the morning, going to the gym at noon, seeing a movie at 5, back at work at 7, going to bed at 5 am. I can do that for days without any care or  true scheduling. I’m unapologetically selfish for all the right reasons. I couldn’t do that in a relationship. Even with the most understanding partner.

I CAN MOVE TO MORACCO TOMORROW
Not that I have any possible way of making that happen but it’s a possibility. I can apply for a gig out of town and the possibility doesn’t have to be a conversation. In a past relationship, the possibility of receiving a job offer in San Francisco had to be discussed. I wasn’t offered a job but we talked about what it could mean for us. It wasn’t a hard conversation but it was something I had to think about other then just wondering if I got the job or not.

MY LITTLE BLACK DRESS
I actually enjoy being a little stressed over what to wear on a first date. Flirty dress or jeans with a cute top? Heels or strappy sandals? All of it is strategic even if the guy notices or not. Looking in the mirror ready to go and not knowing at all how the night is going to play out is exciting. And all of that quickly fades away in a relationship. You don’t worry about wearing the same jeans all week and the little black dress doesn’t get seen for months.

We’re in such a hurry to get to the next phase that we miss the one we’re in. As much as I would like everything to go exactly how I want it when I want it, life doesn’t ever happen that way. When I look back at the frustrated moments of my life, its pretty clear that I went through it for a reason. This moment in my life feels strong, safe, and confident. A couple feelings that I haven't felt in awhile. Maybe it's just a moment of clarity. Regardless of how long it lasts, it sure does feel good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment