Tuesday, June 22, 2010

DARK ROOMS AND POPCORN!!



I've been lucky enough to cover the Los Angeles Film Festival for Venus Zine Magazine. This is pretty much my first journalism endeavor since my days of wanting to be a reporter in high school. Before I got bit by the screenwriting bug. It's been a really great experience. The best part has been having a press pass! So many people WANT to talk to me for possible exposure and when there is a long line for a screening my beautiful yellow pass gets me "priority seating". Can't tell you the last time I felt so special!

Even though, I have been participating as "press", as a writer it's also been a really great experience. For years, I have avoided attending film festivals. I just got soo tired of all the thirsty people. Most filmmakers, writers, directors that are there are so hungry for their careers to take off they are so aggressively looking for the person to change their life. No one is really interested in who you are. They just  want to know what you do and what you can do for them. This is why I hate "Networking Events". Working as a directors assistant was when I experienced some of the worst times at a film festival. People throwing cards, constant emails, scripts at me all for a chance. And the Director I worked for wasn't that interested in helping someone else than he was in pushing his career forward. The problem is most people at film festivals are more interested in seeing what someone can do for them instead of learning their craft. I am a firm believer if you do a great job, then chance and opportunity come to you. When your work is great, you don't have to shove it down peoples throats. One of my favorite Prince songs, "Baby I'm A Star" says it oh so perfectly:

Nothing come to easy, but when you got it baby, nothing come to hard 


This experience at a film festival was different because I just focused on celebrating film making. It's funny because as many people who move to Los Angeles to work in the business, I don't know that many that actually love films. Most people are chasing fame and validation then really understanding and loving the art of story. The following films have been ones that I have enjoyed and are worth seeing at the Film Festival this week.

The New Year - A very simplistic coming of age story of Sunny, a college drop out who moved back home to Pensacola, Fl to take of her cancer ridden father. Two years later, her life is still on pause. She's stuck between doing what's good for her and doing what's safe.

Everyday Sunshine, The Story of Fishbone -- The title says it all. As teenager in the 90's, I remember Fishbone but had NO IDEA that their story was so dramatic and interesting. The documentary itself is good but its the band members candid interviews that make it soo great. If you are not a fan when you see the film, you'll definitely be one when you leave.

Cyrus - I saw this film without knowing really anything about the whole "mumblecore" phenom. I had been waiting to see this film because of the fact that the filmmakers (Duplass brothers) found a way to spin a romantic comedy. Any romantic comedy writer is in constant pursuit of how to tell the same love story differently. Well, the Duplass brothers do and succeed.

Tonight I see Waiting For Superman, the documentary about our failing school system made by Davis Guggenheim, the Oscar winning director of an Inconvenient Truth. Followed by a pool side discussion about how to possibly save public education.

Later this week I see:

 Revolucion - the culmination of 10 short films by the most prominent Mexican directors. All have a perspective of Mexico's growth since the Mexican Revolution.

Welcome To The Rileys - The Jake Scott directed tale of rebirth and reinvention in New Orleans. Starring James Gandolfini, Melissa Leo and Kristen Stewart.

Animal Kingdom - The Australian gangster movie that was a Sundance favorite.

The King of Pastry - Anyone who watches the Food Network knows that making Pastries can deal with a lot of drama. This french documentary follows 16 chefs over 3 days as they compete for the Meilleurs Ouvriers de France - one of the highest accolade for a Pastry Chef.

All reviews of these films will be on www.venuszine.com as the week continues.

Off to the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment