Friday, June 4, 2010

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SURPRISE




The one thing I have been since I was a little girl is curious. As a writer, the majority of the time my curiosity has served me well. Meeting the Brazilian artist Ananda Nahu has been one of these moments. I originally found her work on the blog FLY and started to do my own research to find more. I did find a couple more pieces featured on line but there was limited information about who she is, where you can see more of her work, etc. So, I did more research found an email address and reached out in hopes of finding out more for an article. Ananda speaks very little English and I don't speak any Portuguese so Thank God for Google Translator we were able to communicate via email. The more I learned about her the more I feel in love. The woman is barely 25, gorgeous and from Bahia, Brazil. After studying at a Fine Art College, Ananda feel in love with Graffiti and left the school to paint full time. She feel in love with her husband, Izolag, another highly creative graffiti artist and together they paint full time. Ananda has been featured in European Galleries and Art Shows but still virtually unknown in the United States. Not only is her work remarkable and inspiring, she tends to feature African American icons. I told her it's only a matter of time before she's known all over the U.S. As a thank you for my interest she asked if she could send me something. I gave her my address, thinking I would get possibly a photo of some of her work. Yesterday, I received a 6 foot tall package with two original canvas art pieces from her and her husband. I'm blown away. Ananda and Izolag are far from people with money. I'm sure the shipping alone was a cost that wasn't easy for them but still she didn't think about what she would lose by sending free art work to a stranger but what she could possibly gain. I have yet to meet to meet her in person but I already find her remarkable and a kindred spirit.

Check out more of her work below. Am I crazy or is she kind of amazing? 


No comments:

Post a Comment